When it comes to keeping those pesky buzzing summer bugs away from you and your family, it can be an easy habit to turn to off the shelf products loaded with toxic chemicals. Try these easy home made recipes when it comes to combating all things bug!
- Orange Essential Oil – Put a few drops of orange essential oil on a cotton ball and wipe around baseboards and window sills. The active ingredient in orange oil, d-limonene, is toxic to most bugs.
- Lavender, peppermint, or tea-tree essential oil – try mixing these oils with a baking soda or honey to help with itchy, painful bug bites.
- Baking Soda – Baking soda can help ease itchiness from bug bites. Add a small amount of water to a few tablespoons of baking soda to make a paste to apply to bite locations.
- Bananas – Banana peels are high in antioxidants, perfect for helping with insect bites. Place the banana peel fruit side down on top of a bite until the itching or burning subsides
- Witch Hazel – Try making your own natural insect repellent by adding five drops patchouli essential oil, 10 drops cedar wood essential oil, and 2 ounces witch hazel to a glass spray bottle and mixing well. Apply over exposed skin, AVOID EYES, NOSE, MOUTH, AND EARS.